We love Africa – its animals, its nature and its people. That’s why we want to protect this wonderful continent by all means. At the same time we want as many people as possible to see the wonders of Tanzania with their own eyes. But let’s be clear: responsible tourism is very important to us. […]
What To Wear On A Tanzania Safari [The Ultimate Guide]
It’s not difficult to prepare for your forthcoming safari in Tanzania, including what to wear and what things to pack. Most likely, you already have everything you need in your closet!
On a Tanzanian safari, our clothing recommendations are applicable year-round, but they alter depending on whether you’re climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or making your way to the world-famous Zanzibar Island.
This article will tell you everything you need to know about what to wear during your Tanzanian safari.
What Will The Weather Be Like?
The dry season, which lasts from late June to early October, is when you may see the most wildlife in Tanzania. In the Serengeti, late January to early February offer the best chances to witness the wildebeest calving and the migration, respectively. The “long rains,” also known as the major rainy season in Tanzania, extend roughly from March to May.
Recommended Safari Clothes
It is advised to wear loose, comfortable, and easy-to-wash clothing. The idea is to bring only what you need because most camps and lodges will wash your clothes for a modest cost. There is no need to dress up for safaris because they are casual.
Plan to wear layers so you can acclimatize to weather variations because, depending on the time of year, early morning game drives can be rather chilly while daytime temperatures can get quite warm. Wear neutral or khaki-colored clothing instead of dark blue or black, which tends to draw tsetse flies. Sunglasses, insect repellant, sunscreen, and wide-brimmed hats are essential. It’s recommended that you wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts, socks, and insect repellent to prevent mosquito bites after dusk. Here is a checklist of every piece of clothing you should take and what to wear on your Tanzania safari. So you can refer to it while you pack for your trip.
- T-shirts and tank-tops
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Light long pants or convertible long-short pants
- Warm fleece pullover or jacket
- Heavy sweater, gloves, and toque if traveling in the cold season
- One swimsuit
- Cotton socks and underwear
- One pair of comfortable walking shoes
- One pair of sandals or flip-flops
- Wide-brimmed hat
Extra Items To Pack for your trip
You should definitely pack light when you travel to Tanzania. Here are some extra essentials you can check off your list when packing for your vacation.
- Credit cards and ATM bank cards
- Sunscreen and lip balm
- Small flashlight or headlamp
- Insect repellent
- Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate if necessary
- Safari itinerary
- US dollars in large and small bills
- Plane tickets
- Travel Insurance Policy
- Emergency Contact Numbers
- Eye drops and extra contact lenses or spare glasses if necessary
- Anti-bacterial hand sanitizer
- Tissue paper and a small travel towel
- Camera, extra memory cards, batteries, and charger, if applicable
- Ziplock bags for toiletries, camera equipment, snacks, and so on
- Personal toiletries
- Small first aid medical kit including Tylenol, antimalaria pills, cold and allergy medicine, itch medication, band-aids, stomach ache remedy, antibiotic cream, diarrhea medicine, prescription antibiotic for travelers diarrhea, and any prescription medications.
What Clothing to Wear In Zanzibar?
If you decide to explore Stone Town or any other part of Zanzibar other than the beach resorts before your safari, it’s best to dress modestly. Women shouldn’t dress in short skirts, thigh-high shorts, sleeveless shirts, or exposing shirts. However, Capri trousers or at least knee-length shorts are fine. For men, knee-length shorts or pants are appropriate.
Final Thoughts on what to wear on a Safari
The main thing to remember when packing clothes for a Tanzanian safari is comfort. With this guide, you’ll be able to dress perfectly for your vacation and be ready for your life-changing adventure.