Arusha National Park
Arusha National Park is a small charming park, located in the northeast of Tanzania. It is near the city of Arusha and provides great views of the Mount Kilimanjaro. The park is a scenic and diverse park which offers a wide range of animal and plant species. And it also has a rich diversity of landscapes. From lakes, waterfalls and swamps to volcanos, mountains and tropical rainforest – the ideal reserve for all kind of animals. The swamps, rainforest and lakes attract many beautiful birds including silvery-cheeked hornbill and thousands of pink-hued flamingos. This park is also the only place in northern Tanzania where you can easily spot the black-and-white colobus monkey.
Mount Meru is located within Arusha National Park. This dormant volcano is Tanzania’s second highest mountain at a height of 4,566 meters (14,990 feet). It is a beautiful, but challenging mountain to climb. The panorama views from the summit over the steppes of the park, Mount Kilimanjaro and the Momella Lakes are spectacular. A day hike on Mount Meru gives you another perspective and offers a nice change. We also organise climbs to the peak…
Canoeing on the lake or walking safari
One of the popular safari activities in Arusha national park is a canoe or walking safari with an armed ranger. The Momella lakes in the northeast for example offer a large variety of animals. They are in an open landscape and are home to hippos and all kinds of birds. Countless bucks and buffalo can be seen near the lakes. A great change to enjoy wildlife up close, from a different perspective than sitting in a safari vehicle. Absolutely a memorable safari experience!
Arusha town is about 45 minutes away from Arusha National Park and Mount Kilimanjaro is about 50 km (31 miles) away.
Information and facts
Arusha National Park is known for the black-and-white colobus monkeys, Mount Meru, swamps, lakes, waterfalls and craters! A beautiful park with a wide diversity of landscapes and wildlife.
Most common animals
- More than 400 bird species including flamingos.
- Monkeys: black-and-white colobus monkey, vervet monkey, blue Monkey, baboons
- Mount Meru, second highest mountain in Tanzania, located in the heart of Arusha National Park.
- Momella Lakes: seven shallow alkaline lakes.
- Ngurdoto Crater: swampy crater inhabited by large variety of animals.
- Stunning views of Mount Kilimanjaro on clear days.
- Beautiful volcanic scenery and rain forest.
- Giant fig tree forms arch across the road, large enough to drive a car through.